Thursday, January 12, 2012

Nolan's Daddy.

I spent some time this morning looking through quotes about fathers and sons to inspire this post. There were a lot about pride, teaching, and manly this-and-that. I know that Nolan will learn about those "manly" things from Chris, but when I think of the relationship the two of them are going to have, one word comes to mind: LOVE.

The love between the two of them is already so incredible to me. I have a special relationship with Nolan because I am carrying him in my own body. Chris, on the other hand, really had to work for the bond he has with our little boy. He is already such an amazing dad and Nolan and I are so blessed to have him in our lives.

I've thought about the kind of father I've wanted for my children since I was a little girl. I can honestly say that I have each and every little thing I've ever wanted for them in my husband. How I was able to find him in this huge world, I'll never know...but I'm so thankful.

Chris is going to teach Nolan what it means to be a real man. I know there is a side of him that is nervous to be a father, but I also know that our son will learn so much more from Chris' example than he will from any advice Chris will ever give him. I am at peace knowing that the man that Nolan will watch and learn from every day is one of integrity and honesty and a true and pure love for his family. We will never have to hide our interactions from Nolan because Chris always treats me with every ounce of respect I deserve...even behind closed doors.

Chris keeps telling me how excited he is to meet our boy. I wish I could describe the look he gets in his eyes when he talks to me about Nolan. One of my favorite things in the entire world is when I'm almost asleep and Chris pats my belly to wake baby boy up and play with him. Nolan absolutely adores him and will follow his hand around for as long as Chris is willing to interact with him. Nolan hears his voice and instantly starts bouncing around. He doesn't respond to anybody else like that...not even me. They are already best friends and they haven't even met yet (but that doesn't stop Chris from introducing my stomach to every person we meet. "This is my wife, Sarah and our baby, Nolan!")

Doctor's appointments are a whole different level of beautiful. The way Chris looks at the ultrasound screen as we watch our little boys face and body move around is breathtaking. There is no other word for it. I lay there in awe as I watch our baby respond to his daddy's voice laughing at the picture on the monitor. There is so much love there and I can't wait to see the bond that is formed the first time they get to look each other in the eyes. I can't believe I'm going to get to witness that moment...

It is only going to get better from here. I'm nervous about a lot of things...but not about my partner going on this crazy ride with me. I wouldn't change that for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment