Thursday, March 15, 2012

One Month.

We brought our baby boy home one month ago tonight. I know everyone says this, but where has the time gone?

I feel like we're getting the hang of things. Nolan is slowly falling into a routine. He was only getting up once a night to eat so we were getting quite a bit of sleep, but that stopped a couple of weeks ago. He started getting really sick and projectile vomiting after every feeding. It made for very long nights and a very hungry baby. After a few days of not being able to keep anything in his tummy and a few nights of about 20 minutes of sleep, I decided to make him an appointment.

The doctor checked him out and couldn't find anything wrong with him. He was still gaining weight as he should be (as of his last appointment, he is up to 7 pounds & 12 ounces) and did not seem dehydrated. They took his blood to check his electrolytes and everything came back great. We came to the conclusion that he was just eating too much for his little tummy to handle and I was told to feed him one ounce an hour all day long instead of three to four ounces every four hours like he was doing before. He has only thrown up one time since then and that was because I thought maybe his tummy grew and I gave him two ounces at a time instead of one. I won't make that mistake again.

Other than that, things have been amazing. I don't go back to work until May 2nd and Chris isn't currently working so we have just been enjoying our new life. Chris spends a lot of one-on-one time with Nolan. They spend quite a bit of time playing with developmental toys, watching stimulation videos, and listening to music. Nolan absolutely adores Chris and noticeably lights up when he hears his voice or sees his face. It melts my heart every single time.

Every time someone meets Nolan for the first time, they tell me how tiny he is. He doesn't feel tiny to me anymore. I look at him and can't believe that is the same tiny, fragile baby we brought home just over four weeks ago. He is growing so fast and developing new skills every day.

He has really taken a liking to Paisley. We will lay him on the bed next to her and he will try to hard to roll and turn towards her. He reaches out his hands towards her face and pets her cheeks and ears. She is so patient with him and will just lay her head on his tummy and let him play with her. Paisley turned three years old today and I'm so thankful she is still young so they can grow up together and be best friends.

We are still waiting on his first social smile but it should happen any day. He is so close. He is very interactive and holds great eye contact when Chris or I talk to him. He has started to "coo" and has the sweetest little voice. He doesn't do it very often, but I know that will come with time. I need to be patient and stop wishing for him to grow and develop because it is already happening too fast and I miss my five pound baby.

I took a few pictures yesterday morning and will continue to do so on the 14th of every month until he is a year old. I'll leave you with some of my favorites...

Happy One Month, sweet baby boy. I love you more than you'll ever know. You have changed my world and my heart forever...you made me a mommy.



No comments:

Post a Comment